Friday, August 7, 2015

Day 21 Part 2

After our visit to the cathedral, we took a bus to the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Or, as the locals like to call it, The Met. It was lunch time, so we had some quick food from a street vendor. It was pretty good.


We knew that there was just too much in the museum to see it all in just a few hours. We started out just wandering around and quickly decided to seek out a few things we knew we really wanted to see. I ended up feeling a bit guilty because most of things were paintings I wanted to see, by certain artists. To my credit, no one else had any requests, so we searched out a select few items.



These two paintings by Gustav Klimt were very exciting for me. I have never seen any of his art in person and he is one of my favorites. 

A little side story for you......We tried to visit Neue Galerie to see Adele Bloch-Bauer I, also known as The Woman in Gold. The painting has gained some fame recently due to the success of the movie, also named Woman in Gold. Unfortunately, they would not allow Jack into the gallery because he is under twelve years old. Upon hearing the guard say this, he immediately started to cry. G then told me to go ahead and see the painting on my own. I really wanted to see that painting! However, I chose not to do so. I don't understand refusing to allow a child to view art. How can they learn to understand and appreciate art if they are not exposed to it? Once it was decided that I would not go in, Jack became even more upset because he thought it was his fault that I could not see the painting. I had to explain to him that it was not his fault, they were just jerks, and he should not be upset over it. I know some of you will feel differently. Maybe even agree with the gallery, that kids should not be allowed in for the obvious reasons. They don't behave, blah, blah, blah. My simple argument is this. There is only one way for them to learn.

Back to the rest of our day.

We were able to see tons of paintings, sculptures, and more. I only took photos of the things I loved the most. There was one painting by Maxfield Parrish that G tracked down for me, but it was behind glass and would not have photographed well.

I stumbled upon these windows by Frank Lloyd Wright and that was exciting.


Then, G discovered something even more cool! There was a whole room in the museum that was a recreation of part of a real Frank Lloyd Wright home. I have never been inside one of his homes, so this was the next best thing!


It is called Little House, and is located in Wayzata, Minnesota.



This was the outside.


I told the kids, if I were lucky enough to ever live in a Frank Lloyd Wright house, I would never leave. We would have everything mailed or delivered to us. They weren't too keen on that idea.


Outside the museum.


After the Met, we headed back to Times Square for some dinner. Nothing too exciting. We ate at Olive Garden. When we finished up, the tour buses had stopped running for the evening, so we took the subway.  Another first for all the kids. Naturally, we had to go to Grand Central Station to board the tain, right?






There was a bit of a walk back to the hotel from our stop. 
I should also tell you that G did the entire day in NYC without the wheelchair. This made me very nervous because I know how easily he tires, but he insisted that we not use it because of the hassle. Noah and I were prepared to deal with it, but he refused. Luckily, we were able to borrow a wheelchair in the museum, so he got a break then. Riding the bus also meant much less walking. At the end of the day we were all so tired that we almost didn't even notice the gross B.O. smell of our hotel room when we returned. 
Another great day with bucket list checks!






No comments:

Post a Comment